Carriage Information Comrails Logo

BD Sitting Car

BD 331 to 333

Jump to:
BD 331 BD 332 BD 333

Three "FS" economy class 64-seat corridor sitting cars were obtained from the New South Wales Public Transport Commission in 1975. They were all built by "Clyde Engineering" in the 1930s. They were recoded as "BD" class and used for truck driver accomodation on the "Piggy Back" track.

There were originally 35 "BS" and 86 "FS" cars all built by Clyde Engineering between 1935 and 1938. The two types were both 65ft.10in. and 66ft. 10½in. over buffers and tare 37 and 36½ tons respectively. The "BS" has seven compartments seating 42 whilte the "FS" had eight with a total seating capacity of 64. They cost £5,000 each when new.blc

More Pictures >


27.12.1987,Port Augusta sleeper BD331

BD 331

"Clyde" built "FS 2025" economy class 64-seat corridor sitting car obtained from the New South Wales Public Transport Commission
17.1.1936Entered service as second class 64-seat corridor sitting car "FS 2025" on New South Wales Railways - contract No.4/1934.
1970Second class classification was changed to economy class.
14.4.1975Obtained by the Commonwealth Railways.
1.1.1988At Port Augusta.
24.8.1991Tender called for disposal at Port Augusta.
1996Sold to Sue Flynn who relocated it to a block 20ks out of Katherine in the Northern Territory.[th]

More Pictures >
BD 332 at Port Pirie 1993

BD 332

"Clyde" built "FS 2086" economy class 64-seat corridor sitting car obtained from the New South Wales Public Transport Commission
22.4.1936Entered service as second class 64-seat corridor sitting car "FS 2086" on New South Wales Railways - contract No.8/1935.
1970Second class classification was changed to economy class.
14.4.1975Obtained by the Commonwealth Railways.
25.5.1991Written off.
24.8.1991Tender called for disposal at Peterborough.
1996Sold to Sue Flynn who relocated it to a block 20ks out of Katherine in the Northern Territory.[th]

More Pictures >

BD 333

"Clyde" built "FS 2129" economy class 64-seat corridor sitting car obtained from the New South Wales Public Transport Commission
6.10.1937Entered service as second class 64-seat corridor sitting car "FS 2129" on New South Wales Railways - contract No.2/1937.
1970Second class classification was changed to economy class.
14.4.1975Obtained by the Commonwealth Railways.
24.8.1991Tender called for disposal at Port Augusta.
-Moved to Leonino Road, Darwin River, Northern Territory.[th]

More Pictures >


Built using PPWizard Page code Copyright © Chris Drymalik 1998-2014 - Email cpdbear@adam.com.au or chris@comrails.com
This work is licenced under the Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 2.5 Australia License.
This page was last updated on Tuesday 1 Jul 2014 at 9:27pm.