ABP classificationComrails Logo

ABP Wooden Situp cars

ABP 1 to 7

Jump to:

ABP 1 ABP 2 ABP 3 ABP 4 ABP 5 ABP 6 ABP 7

BRPF lounge compartment circa 1917

A contract was issued on 29.5.1914 for seven composite lavatory cars bodies from "Clyde Engineering Co Ltd, NSW". Four were delivered at Port Augusta at a cost of £2,329, the other three being delivered to Kalgoorlie for £2,593, for a total cost of £17,095. The first of the order was delivered on 12.8.1915 and the last on 30.9.1915.[CR 30th June 1916. CPP 1914-17, No.344]



Restoration of BRBF 1 Restoration of BRBF 1

ABP/BRPF/BRBF/BRFB/EX/XE 1

Built by Clyde as an "ABP" composite class sitting car.

18.8.1915Entered service.
24.11.1917Converted to "BRPF".
2.10.1958Converted to "BRBF", an economy class 4 berth sleeping car with lounge accomodation 2.10.1958 and no end platforms.
1960It was recoded, but unaltered "BRFB".
12.1964It was converted to "EX", a non airconditioned breakdown train sleeping car. Accident train modification included enclosed end platforms, modern bogies, shower, second toilet. A storage cupboard and sixth sleeping compartment was built into the former lounge area.
1968Recoded, but unaltered, to "XE" due to the introduction of bogie exchange on the ANR (these vehicles have X as their final letter).
3.1988Still on register.
27.2.1987SteamRanger expressed interest in this car.
25.3.1987Sent to Port Pirie for long term storage in the car barn.
12.1995Offered to A.R.H.S. Western Australia.
1.1996Transferred to W.A.
14.12.1998Placed on the National Register of Historic Rail Vehicles by the National Trust
-Completely restored are recoded "BRBF 1".
From 2002Used by South Spur Rail Services on the "Spirit of the West" Restaurant Train.
Employees van EE 2 at Port Augusta on 3.2.1986 EE 2 at Port Augusta 1993

ABP/BRPF/EE 2

Built by Clyde as an "ABP" composite class sitting car.

18.8.1915Entered service.
17.12.1917Converted to "BRPF".
27.4.1959Kitchen installed in end sleeping compartment.
6.2.1967Converted to "EE" class employees van , with dining and sleeping accomodation.
15.11.1986Written off.
5.4.1987At Port Augusta, one end smashed into a block of concrete were it had been shunted off the end of a line.

ABP/BPF/BRP 3 -- NBRP 3 -- NRL 1602 -- ENFL 1

Built by Clyde as an "ABP" composite class sitting car.

18.8.1915Entered service.
7.1.1918This car was to be converted to "BAPF", but when half complete was then altered to a "BPF" sitting car, reentering traffic 7.1.1918.
22.7.1922To "BRP".
26.4.1956Converted to narrow gauge "NBRP".
2.3.1961Reverted to standard gauge "BRP"
21.9.1962Converted to semi trailer traffic.
31.7.1968.Written off
6.5.1969Underframe converted to narrow gauge flat "NRL 1602".
1.1980On Central Australia Railway.
23.6.1981Sent to Eyre Penisula Division incorrectly. Operated as "NRL 1620"[rrc]
15.4.1985To "ENFL 1".[rrc]
BRPF 4 circa 1917 BRPF4 at Port Pirie 9.6.1952

ABP/BRPF/BRBF/BRFB 4 -- NRL 1675 -- ENFL 4

Built by Clyde as an "ABP" composite class sitting car.

2.10.1915Entered service.
31.10.1917Converted to "BRPF" class sleeper with saloon.
12.12.1958Converted to "BRBF", platforms enclosed, electric fans and 415V bypass fitted.
1960Recoded "BRFB".
20.10.1969Written off
25.3.1970Underframe to narrow gauge "NRL 1675" flat wagon
1.1980On Central Australia Railway.
6.1.1981Sent to Eyre Penisula Division.[rrc]
15.4.1985To "ENFL 4".[rrc]
Community Service car OW 5 at Port Augusta on 19.8.1987

ABP/BRPF 5 -- OW 5 -- Welfare Car -- Community Service Car

Built by Clyde as an "ABP" composite class sitting car.

2.10.1915Entered service.
13.6.1917Converted to "BRPF".
8.5.1955Converted to "OW" Welfare Car. Also referred to as the Community Service Car. The original layout was preserved with the first two compartments becoming single bedrooms, the next compartment a kitchen, then washroom a shower, the next compartment a dining room and the last a consulting room. The lounge area became a waiting room.
2.11.1985Brasses renewed
5.4.1987Stored at Port Augusta, in a poor state of repair.
1.3.1988In workshops, interior completely stripped, being given to the "Wadlatta" outback interpretive centre.
BRp 6 circa 1917

ABP/BRP 6 -- NBRP 6 -- NRL 1603 -- ENFL 2

Built by Clyde as an "ABP" composite class sitting car.

2.10.1915Entered service.
31.10.1917Converted to "BRP".
27.4.1956Converted to narrow gauge and coded "NBRP".
7.6.1962Reverted to standard gauge "BRP" when fitted with kitchen facilities for semi-trailer traffic.
31.7.1968Written off, underframe to narrow gauge "NRL 1603".
1.1980On Central Australia Railway.
6.9.1981Sent to Eyre Penisula Division.[rrc]
15.4.1985To "ENFL 2".[rrc]
Situp carriage ABP 7  November 1915 BRP7

ABP/BRP 7

Built by Clyde as an "ABP" composite class sitting car.

2.10.1915Entered service.
14.7.1917Converted to "BRP".
13.2.1951Kitchen installed in end sleeping compartment for semi trailer use.
6.11.1970Body written off.
9.1976Underframe still at Port Augusta[blc]