|"Wandana" - S.A.R. Narrow Gauge Sleeping Car|
narrow gauge sleeping car, built at Islington in 1909 and issued to the South Australian Railways South East Division as "174", a combined first class sleeping and day car, with accomodation for eight sleepers and 12 sitting passengers. Lavatories were located in the centre, with a passageway between them and divided the sleeping portion from the sitting section. The berths in the sleeping section were Pullman style, being formed by folding down two seats to form the lower berth.
In 1917 the car was slightly altered, named "Wandana" and issued to the Port Lincoln Division. The alterations consisted of removing the day compartment and replacing them with movable wicker chairs and a table, while in the end of the car, large glass panels, one on each side of the door. In 1925, Westinghouse brakes were fitted and the saloon portion was reduced by the provision of a third sleeping compartment.
It was converted to a workmans dining and sleeping van with shower in 1942, and resumed its number "174". In 1966 it was condemned at Port Lincoln.
See also: Wandana (Pichi Richi Railway).
|10.1909||Entered service as narrow gauge sleeping car "174" on the South Australian Railways South East Division.|
|1917||Interior altered and named "Wandana". Transferred to the Port Lincoln Division.|
|1925||Westinghouse brakes fitted and the saloon portion was reduced by the provision of a third sleeping compartment.|
|1942||Converted to a workmans dining and sleeping van with shower resumed it original number "174".|
|5.1966||Condemned at Port Lincoln.|