Carriage Information Comrails Logo

Victorian Railways "BCE" Type Carriages

BCE type - 1 to 5

Jump to:
1BCE 2BCE 3BCE 4BCE 5BCE

The five members of this class were converted from "BDSE" Travelling Post Office (TPO) cars. The Original 7 "EBSV", later "BDSE" TPO's with passenger accomodation were built at Newport in 1909, with a further 3 in 1910. Five of these cars were rebuilt into standard "BE" cars in 1923 (they became 44 BE, thru 48 BE), the remaining 5 were rebuilt from 1935 to second class passenger cars with guards compartments, with a new design underframe which did away with the need for truss rods. The underframes for the rebuilt car is of a centre sill gondola type and was especially built to utilize the old headstocks and side sills. Several structural alterations were made to the body. The entrance to the ladies lavatory was relocated from the ladies compartment to the corridor, thus increasing capacity by one seat. The sliding door was widened to 5 feet 6 inch and moved to the centre of the 23 feet 6 inch section, now used for van goods. Nine tons of van goods could be carried.

The central guards compartments facilities included a desk and letter rack in the 3 feet 10 inch space corresponding to the ladies lavatory. A dog box, with access by a lowered door from the outside of the coach only, was fitted to one side under the elevated guards seat. Lastly, the two things which altered the external appearance was the provision of two 2 feet 6 inch wide doors on each side, in the guards section and a raised roof lookout with handbrake pedestal and emergency brake valve. Side lights were fitted externally to van walls. Dimensions are the same as the "AE" and "BE" cars. They consisted of passenger compartments at one end seating 40 in 5 compartments, with an additional 2 seats opposite the mens lavatory, and guard/goods storage at the other.

"BCE" cars were used as through cars to destinations such as Pinaroo SA, connecting with the Mildura line trains at Ouyen.



4<sup>th</sup> October 1986,1BCE passenger end 4<sup>th</sup> October 1986,1BCE guards end

ESBV/BDSE 4 -- BCE 1

10.2.1910Issued to service as composite second class/mail sorting carriage. Its coding was either "4ESBV" or "4 BDSE" (the uncertainty is due the recoding done to all E cars in 1910)
5.3.1935Converted to "1BCE".
4.10.1981Still in service V/LINE.
5.5.1984Withdrawn.
5.1986In posession of Steamrail Victoria.
13.6.1986 Maldon station 2BCE 23<sup>rd</sup> April 1989,Maldon carriages 42ABW 2BCE 30BCPL 23AW 39AW

ESBV/BDSE 1 -- BCE 2

30.11.1909Issued to service as "1ESBV" composite second class/mail sorting carriage.
1910Recoded "1 BDSE".
12.4.1935Converted to "2BCE".
4.10.1981Still in service V/LINE.
1.7.1983Transferred to Historical Register.
13.5.1985Withdrawn.
18.11.1985To the Castlemaine and Maldon Railway.

ESBV/BDSE 2 -- BCE 3

19.4.1910Issued to service as composite second class/mail sorting carriage. Its coding was either "2ESBV" or "2 BDSE" (the uncertainty is due the recoding done to all E cars in 1910)
12.4.1935Converted to "2BCE".
1937Fitted with a pair of 4 wheel cortan steel passenger bogies for testing purposes, prior to fitting to the "Spirit of Progress" stock being built. They were the the first roller bearing bogies used by Victorian Railways to utilize Timken roller bearing boxes and clasp brakes.
4.10.1981Still in service V/LINE.
13.10.1984Transferred to the History Register.
5.1.1985Withdrawn.
5.1986In posession of the Seymour Loco Group.

ESBV/BDSE 6 -- BCE 4

30.11.1909Issued to service as "6ESBV" composite second class/mail sorting carriage.
1910Recoded "6 BDSE".
12.4.1935Converted to "4BCE".
4.10.1981Still in service V/LINE.
24.9.1985Withdrawn.
5.1986In posession of A.R.H.S. Victorian Division May 1986 (allocated to the Railway Museum).
9.1.1987Allocated to Seymour Loco Group.
15<sup>th</sup> May 1987,Steamrail Newport sitting car 5BCE

ESBV/BDSE 7 -- BCE 5

23.12.1909Issued to service as "7ESBV" composite second class/mail sorting carriage.
1910Recoded "7 BDSE".
12.4.1935Converted to "5BCE".
4.10.1981Still in service V/LINE.
5.5.1984Withdrawn.
5.1986In posession of "Plan R" Victoria.
-Transferred to Steamrail.


Built using PPWizard Page code Copyright © Chris Drymalik 1998-2014 - Email cpdbear@adam.com.au or chris@comrails.com
This work is licenced under the Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 2.5 Australia License.
This page was last updated on Friday 28 Feb 2014 at 4:35pm.